Old Winyards

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why I Hate Harry Potter

I'll admit it freely; I hate Harry Potter. It's not just because the books and movies are the most overblown, overhyped phenomenon since... well, ever. It's not because I'm into "real" fantasy fiction and I'm just a snob about more mainstream material. It's not because so many other people love them that I assume they must suck. It's not even that I take joy in criticizing things that people love. Admittedly, all of these things are true... just not germane to this particular discussion.

No, I have actually read the first two (or was it three?) books. They're just dull. The characters are blander than bland, the plots are stock and derivative, and the writing is excruciatingly plain. They're something that a precocious 8th grader with a good editor could turn out. (For a good time, dig through the negative reviews of young Christopher Paolini's Eragon on Amazon.) They're like baby food; they're easily digestible, but that doesn't make them worthwhile, and it certainly doesn't mean that adults should be trying them. The best thing I can say about the books is that they are somewhat cute. But that just makes them acceptable for 8-year olds; it doesn't justify adult readers and umpteen million copies sold. It makes me sad that so many people are discovering how great reading is thanks to this drivel. It's like when you meet someone who says they like classical music, and upon asking them what they like, they reply, "You know, like, the stuff they have on those British Air commericials."

So, the books are dull; I shouldn't get upset about that. What makes me upset is their popularity and the enthusiasm people have for them. Normally intelligent, discerning people go ga-ga over this pap. Folks I highly respect will wait in line for hours for the privilege of reading this waste. I'm ok with the fact that people need to be enthusiastic about something, and that it's natural to have fads and trends. But why the hell can't it be about something good? George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series is a good example of something that deserves its notoriety and success. Even Robert Jordan's neverending Wheel of Time saga has some merits. And, you know, that Tolkien chap wasn't half-bad either.

Listen to a fellow voice of sanity, Rober Winder of the BBC. God, there's nothing like sensible British people to tell it like it is. Just like Simon Cowell.

Got something to say? Wanna defend poor Harry? BRING IT!

1 Comments:

  • That BBC link was hilarious -- I especially enjoyed the "I've never heard of A.S. Byatt" bit.
    I totally see where you're coming from, but I did read Harry Potter this weekend and it's not such a bad read. (I wouldn't go so far as paying for it though; I borrowed it from Becca.) There are several positive things I can say about Harry.
    - It's certainly not going to save literacy in the Western world, but it's readable. This can't be said of many books written these days, in whatever genre.
    - The series introduces many archetypes and semi-mythological/Judeo-Christian concepts and references that kids (or adults for that matter) are not exposed to these days, since they're all more or less illiterate and haven't read the classics; it's pretty useful information that they're being introduced to, actually.
    - I do think the books have gotten progressively better, since they deal with more complex characters and contexts as the main characters grow up and the storylines get more complicated. I still agree with you that it's not a book/series destined for greatness. (Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy on the other hand, I think I can comfortably bet on.)
    - I don't privilege reading crappy books over crappy tv or film; however, if kids find better books via the conduit of Harry, that's a positive development.
    Sorry for the longwindedness!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home