Old Winyards

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Say Hello to My Little Friend, Redux

I'll admit it; I have a terrible memory. I have never claimed otherwise. I guess I always thought it was part of my charm. You know that eccentric, lovable, absentminded genius guy? That was supposed to be me.

But I guess my tendency to forget everyday tasks and social engagements, although charming in bachelorhood, loses a bit in translation to married life. In fact, there was this one time when I was scheduled to... well, let's not bring that up here.

On a seemingly-unrelated topic, my current phone sucks. It's the same model my dad has, if that tells you anything -- so old I can't even find a picture of it on the Sprint website. The outer screen is cracked. The battery dies frequently because the charge drains rapidly when I am roaming (which is often). The UI is poor, which makes text messaging difficult. Calls and messages to the phone are frequently missed. One time it notified me that I had a new voicemail... one day after the message was left. By the way, Sprint service in the Bay Area is horrible.

These two subjects got me thinking. What if there were a way to replace my phone and improve my memory at the same time. Maybe some kind of cyber-RAM-communications-system upgrade. Or maybe I should just get a new phone that actually works with a datebook and such. I guess I kind of got fixated on this idea, kept asking Sherwin about whether I should get a BlackBerry or a Palm Treo, whether I should get a Bluetooth adapter for my laptop. Susie and Sherwin got so concerned that I might actually go out and buy one that they had to give me my birthday present a couple of weeks early Now I am the proud owner of a brand new BlackBerry 7100g.

May I just say: It rocks! Thanks, guys! It makes such a great toy, and it's already helping me remember things. Just this afternoon it reminded me to make a dinner reservation and call my grandma. Good boy!

3 Comments:

  • i'm so happy you like it--just think: it'll be so much easier for you to do things like remember to buy milk, pick up dry cleaning, and everyone's birthdays and anniversaries, too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM  

  • daniel's old phone was so bad that when i lost my phone and had to borrow his--i didn't want to ask for numbers for fear of having to pull it out.
    now he looks like jay-z!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

  • Naw, for that, I'd need this phone:
    http://www.babyphat.com/nshop/preorder_confirm.php

    By Blogger Daniel Hiatt, at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home