Old Winyards

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Foiled!


What a rough morning! My sister was supposed to come over at 8:30 so we could go over to Peets for breakfast. Naturally she showed up at 8, right as I was getting out of the shower. Damn Muni! It's not even reliably slow! Peets was a madhouse when we got there; the line was almost out the door. And after we ordered, they forgot to give Megan her cinnamon twist; we had to go back and ask for it. Then, upon receiving our coffees (The woman behind us in line got hers before ours! Imagine that!), we discovered that the little cinnamon and cocoa shakers were MIA! Quelle horreur!

Undaunted, we drove to Stonestown. Why not do a little shopping with my sister while she's in town, I thought? I'll just be a touch late. Of course, when we got there, everything was closed. Apparently malls just don't feel the need to open until 10. At least we could use the restrooms while we were there. No luck. The narrow hallway to the restrooms was filled with queues of octogenarians doing jerky tai-chi-like exercises. It would just have been too surreal to walk through all that.

Finally we discovered something at Stonestown that was open: Borders. Naturally I had left my gift certificate in my car so I couldn't actually buy anything there. But surely we could use their restroom? Nope. Out of order.

I felt like crying.

Not really. Nothing really bothered us. Even the lack of cocoa powder for my mocha. We had a fun time chatting and doing a little familial bonding.

2 Comments:

  • i could have told you that the mall doesn't open til 10am! sigh, neophyte shoppers..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 PM  

  • Well, in our defence, at Christmas it WAS open earlier, and various Macy's outlets do open at 9...

    But I think the mall is missing a trick, not getting in on those early-morning, brown-shoe cravings.

    And besides, it WAS fun. I wouldn't have missed that sea of octogenarians for the world.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home